Thursday 1 January 1981

Good Bye Stinkies

Eventually tiring of having to decoke the engine and exhaust, snapping piston rings as I put it all back together, I discovered the four stroke engine.

BHP per litre may be down, but it was goodbye to the blue haze for ever.

This one was bought in early 1981 from a young farmer, a pal of my brother. Frankly, it was a heap of shite when I handed over the £70 for it. My dad took one look and just walked away. It was caked in mud. Mud filled the insides of the mugards. The handgrips were knackered so the handlebars were full of mud. Even voids in the frame were filled with mud. And it had no stand. But I hada little cash to spend rebuilding it; which is what I did.

The little OHC single motor was bomb proof; so required little more than a good service; new air-filter, points & plug, fresh oil & oil-filter. And a ton of mud removing from the fins.

The frame was stripped & repainted. I replaced the many broken and worn-out parts - levers, mirrors, grips, stand, cables, chain, spokets, brakes etc. Then gave it a good polish and it looked like a different bike.

It spent much of the summer, after I'd left school, thrashing around the local country lanes. Great at night with 6v electrics. Applying the brakes meant the brake-light came on. And the headlight dimmed. So best thing was to avoid braking for corners.

Oh, and applying the air horn (honest!) would stall the engine.

And of course this little bike got me through my test. First time. When I sold it as part-ex for the CB400, the dealer gave me £170 for it, which chuffed me no end. The only bike I ever made money on.

No comments: